What I have enjoyed about English class so far is all the works of literature we have read from many different authors. All the authors come from different places around the world and so we are able to learn about many new cultures and lifestyles. I also enjoy the group discussions because I like hearing other peoples opinions on things. Everyone doesn't have the same opinion and therefore it doesn't get boring hearing the same thing over and over again. I am able to learn something new everyday I come to this class.
Henrik Ibsen was born on March 20, 1828. He was born to Knud and Marichen Ibsen and was the eldest of 5 children. He grew up in the small Norwegian coastal town of Skien, Norway. His father was a successful merchant and his mother painted, loved to go to the theater and played the piano. The family went into poverty when Henrik Ibsen was 8 years old dude to a failure with his father's business. The family moved to a rundown farm near town and Henrik spent his time reading, painting and doing magic tricks. At age 15 he stopped school and started to work. He got a position as an apprentice in an apothecary in Grimstad. In 1849, Henrik wrote his first play Catilina. While exiled to Italy, he wrote Brand.
When Henrik moved to Germany he wrote A Doll's House. I feel like the title relates to the play because it can be about a woman who choses what she wants. It is her house and she can do as she pleases. The decisions that the main character makes can help her find who and where she wants to be in life. One symbol or theme this play might focus on is freedom. This can relate to the research I did about Henrik.
http://www.biography.com/people/henrik-ibsen-37014#writing-in-exile
No comments:
Post a Comment